Thursday, October 27, 2005

Bob Walkenhorst, October 26, 2005

The evening started with "Dry Dry Dry" land. I believe "Masters of War" was right after that. And then, at the end of the show, 2nd to last song, "Blowin' in the Wind". I was struck by that pair of Dylan songs. Both have an anti-war idea to them. ("and how many times must the cannon balls fly before they're forever banned") One the other hand, the two songs end with very different death related comments. "and I hope that you die, and your death will come soon" vs "and how many deaths will it take till he knows that too many people have died". Not necessarily contrary in a technical way (if we understand the latter to refer to deaths from war and violence and such, and not to mean death's not part of the life cycle). But very contrasting attitudes. So it seems to me.

Note: I looked the lyrics up online, and Dylan's website has that as the 2nd verse, but it was the 3rd verse as Bob W. sang it last night.

Being one who listens to and pays attentions to lyrics, I had to laugh on the 2nd verse when Bob sang "how many times can a mountain exist before it is washed to the sea". Uh, huh? Usually just once. ;) Had I had been singing the song in my head I might not have noticed. But there was no tape of the song playing in my head. Just me listening to Bob.

I'm totally not being critical of Bob. No way. I just find it amusing.

Thankfully, I do know the song and thus was able to go back in my head and figure out that it was supposed to be "how many years...", which makes much more sense. :)

On to other songs. :)

"Doomsville", now that one, I'm used to it not being a dance song. So I sat and listened. And, then, somewhere in there, I realized, it's danceable. And I got up and danced. I don't know if they played it a little faster than usual, or if it was just me, or what. Just something made it, for me, something to dance to when usually it isn't.

For a while it was all originals Bob songs, other than "Masters of War". Somehow that struck me. Later on, towards the end, it was lots of covers.

"The Race is On" again. Have I mentioned I like that song? :)

"No Romance". When Bob sang "I spent too much of my life waiting / hoping, dreaming, wishing, believing / and way too little of it living", I was thinking, Bob has helped me to live my life, to live more fully. And that's a nice gift.

You know, I think hoping, dreaming, wishing, believing instead of living is better than not hoping, dreaming, wishing, believing, nor living. Ah, but best, perhaps, to hope, dream, wish, and believe while living.

They played a Beatles song. I forget which. One of the less familiar to me ones.

Oh yeah, near the beginning of the show, Bob, I think after making reference to last week's show, said "We're the Geniticklers". Or something like that. (I got the Geniticklers right. I just wish I remember the how he presented it better. You all will just have to download and listen. Or else Jim or someone else will maybe provide a better report.) I like that... Genitickers. :)

After that Bob said that's not the weirdest Gig he's ever played, but before he told his story, he had Jeff and Norm tell theirs. If you'd rather just hear them tell the stories themselves, go ahead and stop right here, or skip to the next post if there are replies. The weird gig stories are the last part of my post.

Jeff's was one 4th of July, playing a party at someone's house, and it rained so they were set up in the very tiny living room, playing to like 3 people, and the person who I guess was hosting it, he insisted on using the microphone to welcome everybody.

Norm's was, way back in 1977 or so, a band called I think he said Nation, they had long hair and played Kansas-like music, and they played a New Year's Eve gig -- and Norm pointed out their music was not dance music -- and it was in a church basement, and the couples ranged in age from like 30 to 80. And this was when Norm was pretty young.

All these stories, really, better to listen for yourselves than rely on my retellings.

Finally, Bob's story. His weirdest gig was lipsyncing on the radio. Yes, lipsync on the radio. See, it was done in front of a live audience. This was in Belgium. The Rainmakers. And they interview the band, and then go straight into the music. The thing was, where they were (pretending to) play from was not the same place as the interview. They had to walk about the same distance as from the door to the stage at the Record Bar, was Bob's description. (Maybe 30 feet? 40?) And so, as soon as the interview ends, the music starts, and the band is still walking to the where they play from, while the music is already playing, and then they get there and pick up their instruments and starting playing along (or however one properly describes it)The evening started with "Dry Dry Dry" land. I believe "Masters of War" was right after that. And then, at the end of the show, 2nd to last song, "Blowin' in the Wind". I was struck by that pair of Dylan songs. Both have an anti-war idea to them. ("and how many times must the cannon balls fly before they're forever banned") One the other hand, the two songs end with very different death related comments. "and I hope that you die, and your death will come soon" vs "and how many deaths will it take till we know that too many people have died". Not necessarily contrary in a technical way (if we understand the latter to refer to deaths from war and violence and such, not to mean death's not part of the life cycle). But very contrasting attitudes. So it seems to me.

Then later in the show Jeff told another weird gig story. This involved mushrooms. No, not the kind you buy in the grocery store. Now, Jeff was expecting the mushrooms not to take effect till after they were done playing, but they kicked in more quickly than he expected, plus the set was longer than he expected. And you'll just have to listen to Jeff tell it (wish I could tell you what song it's after), or else wait for someone else to do a better job than me. Anyway, this made for a weird gig for Jeff. Jeff did point out this was many years ago.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Kozisek said...

I'm one of the regulars. I go every Wednesday, rarely skipping. But not every show gets recorded in my blog.

11/20/2005 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home