Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bob Walkenhorst, July 13, 2005

Let's see if I can remember anything.

Well, for starters, I got there late, because I had to work. So anything in the first 45 minutes or so of the show I can't tell you about.

I was already tired when I got there, because it was a busy evening at work. So I sat out the first several songs after I got there, even though they were dancable. But then they played one of those "I gotta dance" songs. So I did. And another. And another. But then I was able to take a break, rest, eat my salad.

Bob did a two song solo set. The first one is one that he said he plays at family funerals. (Or, at least, I assume that's what he sang, since he told a story related to it before playing it.) And he told a story that had to do with the sheet music for the song and his mom's rings. Better, I think, to hear Bob tell the story then to read my attempt at retelling.

The 2nd song Bob played solo was "Remarkable". I quite like that song. It was good to hear it. Unfortunately, there were some people behind me giggling through the song. Quite annoying. So, for the rest of the song, I moved up to the booth nearest that stage (which was empty) to be farther from the giggling and closer to the music.

After that song it was back to all 3 of them playing.

Megan (who used to be a waitress at Molloy's) came in partway through the show. The band did "Paradise" for her, and she was appreciative.

They did "Amazing Grace" again. Bob said that one and another one, he messed up last week so wanted to do again. For those thinking "but it sounded great last week", well, he specifically made reference to the words. I do recall, last week, that he in several spots sang different words than I knew. In one spot I knew what he sang wasn't right, in other spots I was thinking he must be singing a different version than I know (it wouldn't surprise me if there are variations on the words in that song), and in several spots, I wasn't sure. Anyway, they did it again, and it sounded good again.

My favorite verse of "Amazing Grace" is the last one (not counting repeating the first verse). "When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shinging as the sun, we've no less days to sing God's praise, than when we've first begun". I think a good part of why I like that verse is it's a "we" verse, rather than an "I" verse like the rest of the song. (And I think it was written by someone different than the other verses.) I like that sense of community.

They played "Honky Tonk Women". Good song. They did it well. And that was supposed to be the end of the show. They put their instruments down. But the audience started clapping that "uh, uh, no, you all aren't quitting yet, we want one more" clap. Jeff nudged Bob and they did one more, "Summertime Blues". Good song. I bet, unlike me, Bob actually knew that song before Alan Jackson had a country hit with it in the 90s. :)

That's all I can remember. :)

Oh, one more thing. They did "The Times They Are A-Changin'" That was good to hear. And lots of cheers after Norm's verse. I guess we all liking hearing Norm do his one verse of lead vocals.

Bob was sounding very emotive in his singing last night, I thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home